Thursday, March 19, 2009

Identity Crisis

What is it about me that I seem to need some sort of box to stick myself in. I wonder if I need it to anchor myself somehow. My creativity can be such a fast thing. Great arms that swoop me up in a whirlwind and lead me dancing down a hundred new trails. I think I try to box myself just to limit the direction I could go in, the things I could create out of and the thoughts and feelings I try to express.
I've been searching "pixie clothing" on google and etsy lately. I've found some beautiful things.

















Spunky, sexy, funky stuff! But to be honest after a while I felt like I was visiting different versions of the same site. The same fabrics and basic concepts on every site.
At first I felt inadequate, like my work was 'uncool', too old school, not sexy enough
. This crisis of confidence seems to be part of my process. I'm coming to terms with it and am learning not to give in too much to that mean old lemon lipped critic that resides between my ears.
So having seen all this beautiful clothing and experience this loss of confidence, I begin to ask myself "what do I love to make? Where does my work Fit?"
Envious as I am of these peoples talent, I realize that this style of work is not from me.
I hate to work with these super stretchy fabrics. Give me strong solid canvas any day, drill and crazy retro cottons and linens, none of which lend themselves to slinky sexy clothing.
So where does that leave me?
Unique!!!

Kowhai inspired bell bottomed pants.



















Utility Belt



















Spiraling seedpod halter



















Simons Custom Freeform pants

No comments:

Post a Comment